England London South Mission: July 9, 2015- July 2017
Family/ Friends please send letters to letter address and packages to package address. I will update letter address if a transfer were to take place. Package address will remain the same. Thanks!

Letters Address:
22 COPELAND HOUSE
RATHLIN ROAD
CRAWLEY
RH11 9GA

Packages Address:
Elder Zachary Rivera
England London South Mission
The London Temple
West Park Road
Newchapel, Surrey RH7 6NB
United Kingdom

Saturday, February 11, 2017

"What Will You Do Next..?"

Good morning! 

This has been a long week... we've had some trainings with the zone leaders and sister training leaders and they all went super well! President taught us the importance of the Holy Ghost in our own lives and also ways in helping others to know what it will do for them in their lives. 

Thursday: February 2nd, 2017
I was meant to be heading to Peckham today for a roaming exchange with the Peckham elders but I didn't manage to make it there. Sadly... I was waiting in the freezing cold rain and then I heard two announcements go off that the train I was meant to be taking had been delayed and then later canceled due to someone being hit by a train... whether it was an accident or on purpose, no idea but it was pretty crazy to hear that... I ended up staying in Crawley today and just worked with the Crawley elders and we had a blast! First time I've had the chance to work with them and so we went out to a place called Copthorne which is on the way to the temple. Racked up a good 12.6 miles in walking today(might not sound like a lot but for someone who is usually in car... it was quite the accomplishment for myself haha. There's a wonderful video that you can search and check out sometime that I had an experience with titled, "Life's Burdens" and you can find it on lds.org under the media library.

Friday: February 3rd, 2017
Well... my postponed London trip to Peckham was successful today! Literally felt like home when I was working here with the elders. We had an appointment cancel on us and so we took the rest of the evening and contacted on Walworth road for about 2 hours. We met some super solid people and one of the coolest people we met was actually a BMX International Champion that was getting ready for some competitions and she expressed how she always prays to God for help in those and was interested to learn more once she finished her racing tour in Europe areas. Super cool! London just has a special feel to it and it was just a lot of good fun with the elders. As I finished up the night and was pondering on the days events, I had a very distinct thought come to mind and so I wrote it down and this is what it said, "Your personal desire to share the gospel becomes interconnected with God's purpose, when you finally begin to see your brothers and sisters for who they truly are and the potential of who they can one day become." It was a very distinct impression and had to record it because it is so true. You never know who is ready or willing to receive the message but the greatest thing about it is if you see them the way God sees them... all things tend to work out perfectly. (Remember Life's Puzzle)

Saturday: February 4th, 2017
Finished up my day in the wonderful city of Peckham and headed off to Southampton tonight as my companions were down there conducting a baptismal interview and we didn't know whether we were staying or not and so I met them there for the potential baptism and sadly... it didn't go through this time. She is so ready... it was someone I taught for 4 1/2 months while I served in Southampton and she has made such amazing progress but family is a hard thing for her. I got to share some personal feelings and thoughts about the whole situation and it was amazing to see the difference it made. God uses us as instruments if we just ask for Him to do so. I shared some personal experiences from my background as the only member and how hard it is myself, but that God takes care of the one who decides to step out of that comfort bubble and join Him on the front lines of the battle. This I know to be true... God gives the toughest battles to His strongest soldiers. I just know what it's like to have questions... to not know... to misunderstand... to desire... to search... to feel... and to know. It is a journey we all must take(whether you believe it or not) everyone will eventually be backed up into the corner and have to choose where they stand... will you Forget Everything And Run or will you Face Everything And Rise(choose your F.E.A.R)? 

Sunday: February 5th, 2017
Definitely without question... the most spiritual sacrament meeting I have ever had! Pre mish and on the mish. It was fast and testimony meeting today and it was POWERFUL!!! Our friend Maureen got up and bore her heartfelt testimony and even asked the entire ward to pray for her as she embarks on her journey to becoming a member of the church. Funny thing about it... a member dropped her a note explaining what the fast and testimony entailed and she somehow "misread" it(it was just the Spirit translating the words for her heart) and thought it told her to bear her testimony. Super cool! Then... the most amazing thing happened... 6 other sisters in the ward(all converts) immediately one by one, got up and shared their experiences and personal testimony and witness of the truth that they received from God about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. All of their testimonies were perfect for her and she just had some amazing connections from there on. Elder Wright and I were the only brethren to share their testimonies. You know it's God telling you to share your testimony and experience when you're sitting there(not planning on saying anything cause these sisters were just doing amazing) and all of a sudden it's like your heart just wants to jump out of your chest, it starts pounding like crazy and you instantly have thoughts like, "Get up there and share your testimony and personal experience as a convert." "Are you sure...?" "Go now..." "Okay, I'll do it! But help me know what to say." You get up there not knowing what you're going to say and God just does what He does best and that is filling your mouth with the words you needed to share and the pure testimony you needed to bear. I felt so much love from God and it helped strengthen my own testimony once again. Only 3 more fast Sunday's left in my mission and the opportunity to share your testimony like that doesn't come very often and I've committed myself to share it every fast Sunday for the rest of my life. Your testimony is the only thing that grows the more you give it away. Interesting huh? So share your testimonies often with everyone around you... you never know who's life you might touch or even CHANGE because of what the Spirit gave you to say.

Monday: February 6th, 2017
So we spent the night at president's on Sunday evening so we could receive some personal training and spend some extra time with them. (Blessings...) He helped us learn a more effective way to plan that will help us out with life beyond the mission and it was amazing! We also had our personal interviews today and I got some seriously good counsel on finishing my mission strong and just making the most of the time I have left and also got a few insights on what is next for Elder Rivera these last two transfers, still not done but an idea of what the Lord wants next. (Another blessing)

Tuesday: February 7th, 2017
We had MLC today and crazy enough... today was my 19th MLC in my mission.... whoa. I think the only thing I can say about today was that I had one of the most spiritual experiences I have ever had and it is worthy to share with you all. There is one of our senior missionary couples leaving at the end of the month and we sang to them before they left, one of my favorite hymns, "God Be With You 'Til We Meet Again." Now, here is where the experience came into play. As we began singing... it started like a little tingle but as we sang and the missionary's voices got louder and more tears were falling... you could literally feel the Spirit of the Lord present in the room. My body was electrified(don't know how to explain it really...) but it was like my whole body was just amped with electricity through it. It was something like I've never experienced before and it felt amazing. As I write this... I can feel some of those same feelings that God has said helps us know when the Spirit speaks with us. If you look at Galatians 5:22, it says that, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." So if you ever have experienced these feelings, ask yourself where those feelings come from and then ask yourself what you're going to do next because of that.

Wednesday: February 8th, 2017
Round one of ZLT today and it went super long... we had to cover a bunch of stuff and practiced a lot! We also talked tonight about moves and started planning and prepping for the coming weeks and well, it's exciting!

Thursday: February 9th, 2017
Round two! Same thing, covered question asking, role of the Holy Ghost, and then cliff hangars! Then I had a crazy flashback moment as I was waiting at the Oxshott station for my train to Guildford. 18 months ago, Elder Richins and I sat down at the very same station the night we were called to be zone leaders. It brought back a ton of good memories with my trainer and the experiences we had together. I sat there and literally just reminisced about the memories but most importantly, I reflected upon just how much has happened, how much I've changed, and how much I've learned about myself and the Savior. There are special moments you have with God when you're all alone. I literally had the train station to myself and the two of us just had a moment of reflection. With 3 months to go... He had me just reflect upon what has happened to me but the lesson that came was... "With all that you've learned, all the opportunities to lead I've given you, the skills, talents, and gifts I've given you, all the knowledge my Spirit has granted you, what next? What are you ready and willing to do next for me? This isn't just about your mission now... you have 3 months here to finish strong, but I'm talking your future here elder. What are you willing to sacrifice for your future success in my work? I have work for you to complete when you get home but I need you to be ready." Uh... okay. Yup. Sure thing. We'll see what happens when I get back but this lines up with a portion of my patriarchal blessing. Again, life's puzzle is being put together one piece at a time.

3 Elders plus Burgers and Fries= Five Guys?
Friday: February 10th, 2017
Well, I spent the day with the Guildford elders and we had a blast! There were lots of hills in Guildford so my legs were shot but hey, worth it. I decided to treat the elders to Five Guys! Now... I told myself I'd eventually get myself Five Guys in England to compare to the one in America and well... I was surprised at how SIMILAR it was! Almost identical in taste, shape, smell, everything! Took me back to America for 30 minutes while we were there. So good... good experience for sure but I probably won't do that again until home.


Saturday: February 11th, 2017
Headed to London today because Elder Wright had a doctors appointment. The rest of the day... well, a relaxing Preparation Day to take advantage of and just rest. We've all been exhausted from this week... it starts to catch up with you and well, your body just feels it. It's alright though, anything for God!

Verses of the Week:

Book of Mormon:
Alma 9:26-27
"And not many days hence the Son of God shall come in his glory; and his glory shall be the glory of the Only Begotten of the Father, full of grace, equity, and truth, full of patience, mercy, and long-suffering, quick to hear the cries of his people and to answer their prayers."
"And behold, he cometh to redeem those who will be baptized unto repentance, through faith on his name."

Doctrine and Covenants:
D&C 49:26-27
"Behold, I say unto you, go forth as I have commanded you; repent of all your sins; ask and ye shall receive; knock and it shall be opened unto you."
"Behold, I will go before you and be your rearward; and I will be in your midst, and you shall not be confounded."

Have a great week!

Love,
-Elder Rivera

No comments:

Post a Comment