England London South Mission: July 9, 2015- July 2017
Family/ Friends please send letters to letter address and packages to package address. I will update letter address if a transfer were to take place. Package address will remain the same. Thanks!

Letters Address:
22 COPELAND HOUSE
RATHLIN ROAD
CRAWLEY
RH11 9GA

Packages Address:
Elder Zachary Rivera
England London South Mission
The London Temple
West Park Road
Newchapel, Surrey RH7 6NB
United Kingdom

Thursday, December 1, 2016

An Attitude of Gratitude..!

Dinner at Sister Eckelt's
Hello everyone! 

I realized that this week is Thanksgiving... weird huh? A family is having us over this week to celebrate so I'm super excited! Anyways, this week was super eventful to say the least! It's also been a super long week. My body is feeling it today... but that is GOOD! It means I'm doing something right I guess!

Thursday: November 10th, 2016
We had another Specialized Zone Training today in Poole and it went super well! Today marked 6 months left and so it was pretty sobering... I set some personal goals that I want to achieve over the next 6 months of my mission and the time I have left in England. Following the training, Elder Tunnicliffe and I headed down to Reading for exchanges with the Elders. 

Friday: November 11th, 2016
It's been about 8 months since I've worked in Reading again and it was a blast! We stopped by some former people I used to teach but sadly, most of them weren't home. We also had the chance to see some old members along the way that I was connected with while serving over here. In the evening we had the chance to watch and witness 3 of the baptisms that the elders had. Fatmata, Abraham, and Adam were super excited. I had the chance to teach them before the baptism and was also invited to share my experiences with them at the baptism and it was super awesome!

Saturday: November 12th, 2016
Portsmouth SZT!
Another day of exchanges in Staines today and I got to be with Elder Thomas again and we had a very different type of exchange together. We had to finish cleaning on the final pieces of their old house because it was needing a deep cleaning before they could return the keys to the owners. So that was fun and then we headed up to Peckham again for another baptism we were invited to attend. After the baptism and dinner, I had the chance to talk to President Smith who is the Elder's Quorum President for the Peckham Ward and we had a good conversation. He was asking me about a lot of things and I sought advice from him and maybe what a missionary with 6 months could do to finish strong and be ready for the next step. He shared some very valuable advices especially about an 80/20 rule he has about doing 80 percent of what you know you can do and 20% of stretching room for some things that will help you move forward. Trying to apply that now haha. One thing that the Spirit struck me in the heart with was a comment he made. He said in effect, "For a convert of 2 1/2 years, coming on a mission and the Lord calling you to be an AP... I don't know about you but thats pretty darn good. That just shows how much conversion has taken place in you, how much He trusts you, and what He knows your capable of doing to help others with the skills and talents He has given you." When he said that... it just struck me and it was something I needed to hear. It really showed me the connection I had with God and the reality of what I am currently doing and how I've been doing a good thing for me recently and seeking more of His help in all things and doing my best to grow. "There is no growth in the comfort zone and there is no comfort in the growth zone." 
Casual Day at President's!

Sunday: November 13th, 2016
Another Remembrance Sunday on the mission and it was amazing. There were some members that shared some stories that they personally had or members of their family had during the time of the war. We then had a show at the chapel that MANY people came to watch. It was called, Faith the Musical and it was umm... good but also interesting. There were stories of the first pioneers among the Willie Handcart Company.   President and Sister Gubler invited their neighbors Philip and Kathy to the event and they came! They also loved it and then invited them over for dinner the coming Wednesday! Super cool!

Monday: November 14th, 2016
Today was another day of accounting and we talked about a few things that sparked up some good conversation. We talked about future replacements for myself and Elder Tunnicliffe as we are the oldest Assistant's. That was fun. Haha. Let's just say, the New Year will be fun! =)

Tuesday: November 15th, 2016
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!
We had another SZT today at Maidstone today and then headed to a member's home that Elder Cloward knew for dinner before we headed out. One of his friends he knew also did some size measuring on all of us and he is purchasing us all an African tribal suit for Christmas! Super excited for that! Something I learned today was the reason we mark our scriptures isn't about finding things later on but it is evidence that God is personally speaking to you as you read.

Wednesday: November 16th, 2016
The Christmas season is upon us! Today we got to head to our President's to prepare for moves preparation but we also helped set up for Christmas! I felt like a little kid again setting up a proper Christmas tree and Christmas lights again haha. I helped President set up the lighted wreaths around the stairwell and then I helped Sister Gubler put the Christmas Tree lights up while my companions(who are much taller) worked the outside forces haha. All I know is that time is speeding up so much more... it feels like every transfer just comes by more rapidly and unexpectedly(not really). We did a huge chunk of the moves board today and then drove down to Portsmouth to beat the early morning traffic for SZT.

The final product before the end of the night.
Featuring me and President.
Thursday: November 17th, 2016
Well, it seemed this week was kind of a "lets visit all of my previous areas" kind of week. Elder Cloward and I both had a mini "Mission Tour" due to Specialized Zone Trainings and also Exchanges. Pretty neat. Anyways, SZT went really well and then Elder Dennis and I had a POWERFUL lesson with Katie. She is an investigator that has been looking into the church for nearly 3 years now but she has made so much progress. We talked with her over the phone for about an hour and the Spirit was just guiding the entire discussion. We had some good things going on and then she had some concerns and both of us just worked some things out with her as she was stressing over her baptism that would be this weekend.(explain more later) After the call, Elder Dennis and I headed to Sprinkles to grab some ice cream to finish off the night and we had a good talk over it as well. 

Friday: November 18th, 2016
Well... these last two days have literally been some of the most spiritually connected days in a while. Elder Dennis and I had the chance to teach Katie again and with the help of President Gubler for the first 15 minutes, the stage was really set. She was still stressing over a bit of things leading up to the baptism and stuff. We literally talked for 2 hours trying to help her recognize a few things from the past that she has experiences and gone through that have gotten her to this point. Just for a little background quickly from last nights call that will help this portion. Elder Dennis gave Katie a promise in the name of Jesus Christ that if she were to pray and ask for help and guidance at this time, she would receive an answer to her question. Now... Katie had the mindset of, "I'm quitting and I can't do this." She then asked, "Can I quit doing things...?" What she shared with us was amazing! Katie then said that she got a clear cut answer from the Lord... as if it were a voice that just said... "No, you can't" That frustrated her but she knew it was the right thing and so we talked and talked and talked some more. We used analogies, similes, examples, and I just felt prompted to share so much personal things and experiences I have had in the past with it all and then we proceeded to invite her to figure it out and call us back later. She did and then we talked again some more.(We did a lot of talking these past 2 days haha) She finally came to the conclusion that it is the right thing to do but she had a concern. A genuine one of course. Her family is very on board with it and has made it hard for her and she doesn't want to do anything without having their support or even a knowledge of what she is doing. We encouraged her to go through with the baptismal interview anyways to gage where she is at with things and then go from there trying to help her parents understand the answers she has received and the things that have happened to her. Elder Tunnicliffe interviewed her and what was awesome is that he shared a bit of what happened and how it was one of the most powerful things he has experienced.(also his first interview) Katie then called the Zone Leaders and explained how in the interview... she was able to share things and knowledge about stuff that she didn't even know was there. That woke her up and she realized what she knew and it helped her a ton! She won't be getting baptized tomorrow but she will soon! She just needs to work with her parents and get things figured out there and then she'll be ready but she knows she wants it now and wow... it feels so good to know and see and I mean... "see"
God literally work His hand in all things and work through us to help her. I've never felt so connected to someone or to heaven like I was this past weekend and the results... well, they speak for itself. It was a great reunion in Southampton and so many miracles happened! God is real... I know this. God answers prayers... I know this also. But I also know that God loves His children and is willing to give them help and guidance in all that they do as long as they are willing to listen and do what He says to do. This weekend has been evidence of these things and I know with a surety that these things are real. 

Saturday: November 19th, 2016
Today is just another relaxing day! We spent the morning in Southampton and then headed back to Crawley! Good news is is that my BYU application has been finished. Please pray for me to get accepted!:)


Verse of the Week:
D&C 6:22-24
22 Verily, verily, I say unto you, if you desire a further witness, cast your mind upon the night that you cried unto me in your heart, that you might know concerning the truth of these things.
23 Did I not speak peace to your mind concerning the matter? What greater witness can you have than from God?
24 And now, behold, you have received a witness; for if I have told you things which no man knoweth have you not received a witness?

Have a great week of Thanksgiving! 
Trio-Life is the Best Life! Love these Elders!
(this is a pitchfork yes...)

Love you all and I am super grateful for all you do and the support you give to me!

Love,
-Elder Rivera

No comments:

Post a Comment